Montaigle Medieval Castle

  • velo
  • Car park
  • Dogs admitted
Set at the confluent of the Molignée and Flavion rivers, on a rocky outcrop occupied by man from the Iron Age (5 BC) until the late Middle Ages, the medieval fortress of Montaigle was built in the early 14th century by the Dampierre family, Guy de Namur, regent of Flanders and figurehead of the legendary Battle of the Golden Spurs (1302).

This impressive stately home then became the seat of the County bailiwick, but was destroyed in 1554 by the troops of France's King Henry II.

Since 1965, the critical condition of this magnificent, listed site has prompted volunteers to assist the owner in preserving and enhancing the ruins and their environment; the association "Les Amis de Montaigle" has successfully developed a consolidation technique using sprayed concrete.

The various initiatives aimed at preserving and enhancing these romantic ruins also benefit from subsidies from the Walloon Region.
The monument and surrounding site are now ranked as part of Wallonia's Exceptional Heritage.

The Archaeological Museum (mock-ups, pottery, spoons, dice, crossbow bolts, etc.) offers an interesting illustration of life in the Middle Ages.

Video - Tour guides for adults and children - Braille guide available.
  • E411, exit 19 Spontin ; towards Yvoir then Abbaye de Maredsous (N 971 - Km7 - Vallée de la Molignée). Parking at 500m, on foot to the fortress.